Tuesday, January 10

A Gift for Your Guy


I decided a while ago that I wanted to get Laurent a haircut and shave for Christmas, but finding a hip, traditional style barber shop ended up being a bigger challenge than I expected.  I scoured NYC and found mostly traditional but outdated barber shops.  Even worse, I would find the occasional overly stylized, high-end salons that I can't imagine any man coming out of unscathed.  

Finally, I went to the source for modern manliness, The Sartorialist.  He wrote on his blog that he always gets his haircuts and shaves at F.S.C. Barber, and I decided to stop in one day to see what it was like. 


F.S.C. Barber is located in the back of Freeman's Sporting Club, a well-curated teeny store featuring locally-made goods and custom suits.  I only popped in long enough to buy a gift certificate because this place is truly a men's club, but it was exactly what I was looking for: hip, young barbers transplanted in a traditional barber setting. 


Laurent recently cashed in his gift certificate and got his first professional cut in over 11 years!  After only one haircut, I think he's a convert for life.  I have to say, I was pretty jazzed too because his new do is clean without being too neat and hip without being too stylish.  It seems he's not alone....

A Yelp reviewer said, "Basically this place is everything a guy could want in a barber. It is the only place I can find that lets me listen to Metallica and talk shit about life while getting the best haircut of my life.  The only way I could enjoy this experience more is if I would be offered a beer and cigar upon entry... Since the cigar is illegal in NYC, I will settle for a beer."

Another Yelp reviewer said, "Every trip to Freeman's is a mini spirit quest where you leave with better hair."

I think it's pretty great that there is a place where men can go to relax and be groomed while still feeling masculine.  Here's hoping that Freeman's opens up a hip salon for the ladies in 2012.   

Photo Credit: F.S.C. Barber

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...